The sweet, savory goodness of bulgogi is one of the highlights of Korean cuisine. A walk down any of Seoul’s incredible food alleys is bound to be filled with the aroma of this Korean staple, but sadly this is usually a dish vegetarians have to pass on. Thankfully, Team Mogo is here to help! Our vegetarian-friendly bulgogi lentils! If you’ve already tried them and want to add a new twist the next time you order, we’ve got just the thing: Bulgogi Lentil Spring Rolls with Sweet Ssamjang Sauce.
These healthy, hearty spring rolls are filled with red lentils cooked in a savory marinade are wrapped with lettuce, Korean perilla leaves, cucumber, and carrots. It’s the perfect way to add a twist to your Mogo meals and kick off a healthy new year diet.
While they are best served warm, they’re also delicious cold so you can make them ahead of time and bring them along for a lunch, or serve as a party snack. Although they are perfectly delicious on their own, what really makes the dish is the sweet ssamjang sauce.
A mix of honey (or brown sugar), Korean chili paste (gochujang), and ssamjang (bean paste dipping sauce), this heavenly sauce is the perfect combination to bring out the flavors of the spring rolls. We hope you enjoy it!
VEGETARIAN BULGOGI SPRING ROLLS
14 Rice paper sheets
14 Perilla leaves
14 Lettuce leaves
1 Cucumber, julienned
1 Medium carrot, julienned
SWEET SSAMJANG SAUCE
1 Tbsp Ssamjang (or Doenjang)
1 Tbsp Honey (or brown sugar)
2 Tbsp Water
1 tsp Korean chili paste (gochujang)
1 tsp Minced garlic
1 tsp Sesame oil
1/2 tsp Roasted sesame seeds
- Cook the Mogo Bulgogi Lentils as per the instructions included in the box.
- Place all the prepared ingredients in bowls on a table.
- Put some warm water in a large bowl or pot and soak a single sheet of rice paper in it for 5 to 10 seconds. Do not soak the paper or it will become to soft and become difficult to wrap.
- Place one lettuce leaf, one perilla leaf, 2 spoons of bulgogi lentils, cucumbers and carrots on the wrap. Bring the bottom edge of the rice paper tightly over the filling, then fold in the sides, then tightly roll up the wrap. Repeat with the rest of the wraps, or until you run out of bulgogi lentils. Cut in half or serve whole.
- Add the sauce ingredients into a small bowl and mix well. Serve with the spring rolls and enjoy!